young at art

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Resolution Check/Reality Check

As soon as I started reading these, I started down a shame spiral. I am disappointed in my ability to write resolutions that are easily measurable. AND I think I expected to be able to knock out all of them in one fell swoop. Oy! Here is the skinny so far. 


1. Establish traditions for my family and keep up the ones my mom and dad have started. 
Most of the traditions go with holidays. We haven't had any major ones yet, other than New Year's, and really, what can you do with a two week old on New Year's Eve? What we have done that I will count as a tradition is having Dahlia's picture taken. We went to Target and they did a good job. We bought the archiving service, so we can go in something like 72 times per year. Not really, but it's a lot. Jeremiah and I are both happy to be so proactive about documenting her growth. And I have Valentine's cards for our friends and family. With stamps on them. Ready to mail. Before the holiday is actually here. I think I might even make Valentine's cookies. Maybe.2. Write letters to Dahlia 
This is the only one that I feel good about. I have been doing it. Not as often as I had thought I would, but one letter a week ain't bad. I also ordered some unique scrapbooking sleeves. My plan is to compile the letters and her baby book pages with items from her hospital stay and other memoribilia into one massive Book 'O Dahlia. 
3. Be Better at Birthdays: 
I have started a list of all birthdays. I don't know where I put it. Amie's birthday was in January and all she got was a lame birthday text. Because my mom called to remind me. I stink. Sidenote: My Uncle Terry's birthday was today. I am going to write a little in my Dahlia letter to tell her about him. I think he would have liked to know we think about him. He is probably having a wonderful time catching up with Daddy and Grandpa:)
4. Get my Money Right 
Did I mention my shame spiral? Procrastination is rearing it's ugly head. Plus our financial situation has been precarious these last few months...I will keep you posted. I wish the world was structured to my strengths. If I could trade in hugs and smiles, I would be rich. Alas, money makes this world go 'round. I wonder what services are available to me as far as handing all of my bills and financial info to someone and them telling me what to do. That exists, right? Probably expensive though. lol5. Maintain my Planbook as if a disaster is pending
Not working right now...can't do it yet. But, I do plan to set-up some time to meet with Ruth and my team to plan ahead before I return to work. If any of you read these (probably not!), surprise! 
6. Be a Better Friend/Wife/Sister/Daughter/Granddaughter/Etc.
See resolution #1. I am sending Valentine's Cards. Kinda lame, but a start. Also, I clipped a couple of coupons for Katie. Double lame. Also, in December I ordered some shoes for my mom. I know, I know, December isn't 2011. It is kind of like when I write something on my to-do list, just so I can mark it out. I'm okay with that. Something that has mostly been to my benefit has been that I have been WAY better at keeping in touch with those near and dear to me. Only because I am home all day and crave adult contact. Unintended perk: every time I talk to Grandma Bonnie she cracks me up. We will see how this one pans out when I am back at work. Until then, I am making a commitment to take my team a treat sometime next week. And to seize the moments when I am struck with inspiration about how to treat someone.


As I read back over this, it seems ramble-y. Good thing "be more articulate" isn't one of my resolutions!! Another year, perhaps. That'll do pig. (I'm the pig, not you!)


Hugs, 
Brandi

3 comments:

  1. See that is why resolutions are something I quit making long ago, now I am on to the dreams and wishes plan. But this year I WILL make headway on achieving part of my list! Mardi Gras and Europe thanks to your Dad making me promise I would take the trips we had always dreamed of, its like my own version of PS I love You.
    Love You, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WILL do these dang things. And I forgot one. i took food to Jess and Jason when had surgery. I need every one i can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know anyone more deserving of achieving hopes and dreams!!

    ReplyDelete